Global Times Mobile
btn_back
China

Audrey Azoulay delivers a speech at the headquarters of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in Paris, France, on Oct. 13, 2017. French candidate Audrey Azoulay was nominated as candidate for next Director-General of UNESCO on Friday by the executive board. (Xinhua/Chen Yichen)


 
UNESCO's new chief on Monday brushed aside the US' decision to walk out of the UN cultural body, saying the organization had survived long periods without Washington before.

Former French culture minister Audrey Azoulay, elected on Friday to head UNESCO, said the US was "not the beginning and end" of the agency.

The US and Israel both announced their pullout last month, accusing UNESCO of "anti-Israel bias."

Azoulay said Washington's decision was not "a complete surprise, bearing in mind the US' current position on multilateralism."

"It's a sovereign decision by a state that I respect, but which at the same time is not the beginning and end of UNESCO," she told France Inter radio. "There have been long periods at UNESCO without the US, which ultimately came back."

She added she did not think quitting was in the US' interest and said UNESCO would continue "working with American civil society, American universities and American scientists."

The US walked out of the 195-member organization once before in 1984 over alleged financial mismanagement and claims of anti-US bias.

It returned in 2002, but in 2011 then president Barack Obama cut off funding after UNESCO's members voted to admit Palestine as a full member.

US ally Israel similarly pulled the funding plug, leaving UNESCO short of more than 20 percent of its budget.

Both countries announced on October 12 that they were leaving the organization outright after a series of resolutions condemning Israel.